Limitations on the transferability of this warranty are set forth herein.
THIS WARRANTY GIVES YOU SPECIFIC LEGAL RIGHTS, AND
YOU MAY ALSO HAVE OTHER RIGHTS WHICH VARY FROM
STATE TO STATE.
Thank you for your recent purchase of Owens Corning® roofing shingles and components manufactured by Owens Corning Roofing and Asphalt, LLC (“Owens Corning”). We believe we manufacture the highest quality and most attractive Roofing System (“Roofing System”) available anywhere, and that is why we stand behind them with one of the best warranties in the industry. We have attempted to write this warranty in clear, plain English, so you will fully understand the warranty we are making to you. If anything in this warranty is not clear to you, please call us at 1-800-ROOFING or visit our web site at www.owenscorning.com/roofing.
WHO IS COVERED
To be entitled to the benefits of this Platinum Protection Roofing System Limited Warranty: (1) your property must be located in the United States and (2) you must be either (a) the original consumer purchaser (the property Owner, not the installer or contractor) of a complete Owens Corning® Roofing System, as defined below, by Owens Corning and be in accordance with the “Eligibility Requirements For This Warranty” below or (b) the first person to whom the original purchaser transfers this warranty along with ownership of the structure on which the singles are installed (either person described in (a) or (b), “Owner”). In addition, the entire Roofing System must be installed by an Owens Corning Roofing Platinum Preferred Contractor (PPC) according to Owens Corning application instructions. The Roofing System is comprised of Owens Corning® shingles and accessory products. The Products (“Products”) which comprise the Owens Corning® Roofing System are Owens Corning® shingles, Owens Corning® VentSure® ventilation, Owens Corning® Hip & Ridge shingles, Owens Corning® Starter shingles, Owens Corning® WeatherLock® and Owens Corning® Underlayment products. For detail regarding transferring this warranty, please see “Transferability of This Warranty”.
ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS FOR THIS WARRANTY
- Your Roofing System must be installed by a PPC who shall install the roof as per the specifications outlined in 2–6, below and this warranty must be registered by you or the PPC with Owens Corning within 60 days of the installation;
- Your Roofing System must be installed according to application requirements published by Owens Corning and in accordance with all generally accepted good roofing practices using Asphalt Roofing Manufacturers Association (ARMA) and National Roofing Contractors Association (NRCA) standard application guidelines and all local
building code requirements which are in effect at the time of installation.
- Your roofing system must be installed over a clean roof deck with all existing roofing material and debris removed. Including, but not limited to felt, ice and water membrane, raised nails, flashing materials for chimneys, skylights, soil pipe boots, ridge and off-ridge vents, etc. Repairs must be made to any damaged areas such as loose or cracked mortar on chimneys or rotten wood decking. Deck material must meet the following dimension tolerances: 6” minimum width, 25/32” minimum thickness roof deck boards, 3/8” minimum thickness plywood sheathing or 7/16” minimum thickness OSB (oriented strand board panels). Deck spacing cannot exceed 1/4” between roof boards or between plywood or OSB sheathing.
- For your roof to qualify as a complete Roofing System, you must have purchased and installed Owens Corning® shingles, plus any 4 of the 5 products listed below (one product from each category where applicable):
a. Owens Corning® VentSure® Ventilation products: If a VentSure®
product is used it must be part of a balanced air ventilation system consisting of both functional intake and exhaust ventilation products. If a VentSure® intake vent AND VentSure® exhaust vent are both used, this will count as one (1) of the four (4) requirements. This warranty excludes electrical components of the VentSure® Solar Attic Exhaust Fan and VentSure® off-ridge exhaust vents.
b. Owens Corning® Hip and Ridge shingles.
c. Owens Corning® Underlayment products including Owens Corning® FIBERGLAS™ Reinforced Felt, ProArmor® Synthetic Roof
Underlayment or Deck Defense® High Performance Roof Underlayment.
d. Owens Corning® Starter Shingle products, and
e. Owens Corning® WeatherLock® Self-Sealing Ice & Water Barrier
- New metal flashing(s) and drip edge must be installed. Step flashing is required for sidewall, front walls and chimney applications. Counter flashing is required per NRCA guidelines where applicable; and
- All required details and flashings must be correctly installed as per Owens Corning and NRCA requirements and in compliance with the above-listed Eligibility Requirements numbered 1 through 5.
Exceptions to the “Eligibility Requirements for this Warranty” section may be made in Owens Corning’s sole discretion and must be approved in writing by Owens Corning prior to Roofing System installation.
WHAT IS COVERED
We warrant that your Owens Corning® Roofing System is free from any manufacturing defects that (1) materially affect their performance on your roof during the Tru PROtection® period or that (2) cause leaks during the balance of the applicable warranty period after the Tru PROtection® coverage period has expired. (To determine the length of the Tru PROtection®
coverage period and the balance of the applicable warranty period, please see “How Long Are You Covered” below and the “Limited Warranty Information Table” at the end of this warranty.)
This warranty applies only to those shingles purchased after January 1, 2016 and before the date a later warranty applicable to the shingles comes into effect.
All non-Owens Corning® products installed on your roof are excluded.
This warranty covers workmanship for a period of time as described in
the terms below. Workmanship includes any defective installation of the Owens Corning® Roofing System. The Workmanship Terms are only valid if the Owens Corning® Roofing System is installed by a PPC, per the terms and conditions of the Platinum Protection Roofing System Limited Warranty requirements.
PLATINUM PROTECTION WORKMANSHIP PERIOD
During the first 25 years of the Platinum Protection Workmanship Period, if any part of your Roofing System is found to have an application defect or there are application errors in your Roofing System, Owens Corning will arrange to have your roof repaired or recovered or, at its sole option, will provide you with replacement roofing products and issue Compensation (COMPENSATION as defined below) for the full reasonable cost of labor and other materials to repair or recover your roof, including flashings at valleys, dormers, chimneys and plumbing vents. The costs of labor to tear off some or all of your Roofing System and disposal are included, if necessary, to repair your roof. Platinum Protection Workmanship Period is outlined in the “Limited Warranty Information Table”. After the first 25 years of the Platinum Protection Workmanship Period, if any part of your Roofing System is found to have an application defect or there are application errors in your Roofing System, Owens Corning’s compensation to you will prorated to take into account the number of years of use you have enjoyed from the original installation date through the date of your claim and reduce the amount of Compensation accordingly.
NOTE: First 2 Years. If your claim arises out of an application error which is discovered or discoverable within the first 2 years after installation, it is the obligation of the PPC who installed your Roofing System to make all necessary repairs. In the event that your roofing contractor is unable or
unwilling to perform these repairs, Owens Corning will arrange to have your roof repaired.
HOW LONG ARE YOU COVERED
ALL IMPLIED WARRANTIES APPLICABLE TO YOUR SHINGLES OR ROOFING SYSTEM ARE LIMITED IN DURATION TO THE TRU PROTECTION® COVERAGE PERIOD APPLICABLE TO SUCH PRODUCTS, AS PROVIDED BY THIS WARRANTY, UNLESS A SHORTER PERIOD IS PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW. SOME STATES OR PROVINCES DO NOT ALLOW LIMITATIONS ON HOW LONG AN IMPLIED WARRANTY LASTS, SO THE ABOVE LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
The length of your warranty depends on the type of Owens Corning®